I am a diehard fan of Prawns. Prawns are so versatile that they can be made in many different styles. And I am sharing with you one of my favourite recipes that feature….. Yes…. no guesses there….Prawns.
Kadai Prawns is a very popular restaurant style prawn recipe that is easy to make at home too. Its Indian, spicy and absolutely gobsmacking.
And for those who don’t know, Kadai basically means cooking pot or Indian style wok that is used for cooking or deep frying.
Prawns (deshelled & deveined, 300-400 grams)
3 large onions, finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
3 Green Chilies, finely chopped
Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp)
Red chilli powder (1 tsp)
Black Pepper Powder (1/2 tsp)
Coriander Powder (1 tsp)
Asefoetida (a pinch)
Garam Masala Powder (1/2 tsp)
Cinnamon Powder (1/2 tsp)
Cloves Powder (1/4 tsp)
Ginger-Garlic Paste (1 tsp)
Salt to taste
Chopped Coriander leaves (for garnish)
Lime Wedges (for garnish)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Potaste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
Prep. Time – 1 hr, Cook Time – 30 mins
Calorie intake: 150 gms = 139 cal
1. Let the prawns sit in a marinade of the above mentioned ingredients for at least 30 mins.
2. In a cooking pot, add 2 tbsp sunflower oil. Then add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add a pinch of asefoetida. Now add ginger-garlic paste and sauté it for about a minute.
3. Now add chopped onions and chopped green chillies and let the onions caramelize. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté it till the tomatoes soften up.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, cinnamon powder and clove powder.
5. Now add marinated prawns to this mix. Cover the vessel with a lid and let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
6. At the end, add garam masala powder and salt. Make sure you be careful while putting salt as there is salt in the marinade as well. Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix it well. Take the pot of the heat.
7. Serve this hot with lemon wedges on the side along with plain rice.
This dish has just the right amount of spices. It will definitely be the star dish of any lunch or dinner party.