Leftover rice? Don’t know what to do with it? Here’s a solution.
Just make South-Indian style Lemon rice out of it.
2-3 cups cooked rice
1.5 to 2 tbsp lemon juice or add as required
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp split black gram
1 tsp split chickpeas
2 dry red chilies
1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
8-10 curry leaves
A pinch of asafoetida
1/4th cup peanuts
2 to 3 tbsp sunflower oil or sesame oil
Salt as required
Prep. Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 5-7 mins
Calorie Intake: 124 gms = 168 cal
- In a cooking pan, add 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Add split black gram and split chickpeas and roast it till it turns brown.
- Now add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add peanuts and roast them till you hear them crackle.
- Now add 2 dry red chillies and chopped green chillies and saute for another minute.
- Add curry leaves, a pinch of asefoetida and turmeric powder.
- Now add the cooked leftover rice.
- Pour lemon juice and add salt as required and toss the rice well for 1 minute and switch off the flame. Cooking the rice too much with lemon juice will turn it bitter.
- Lemon Rice is ready. Serve it alongside poppadums or pickle.
No more crying over leftovers when it could turn into a tasty meal the next day.