Paneer i.e Cottage Cheese is loved by most Indians. You will find various versions and variety of dishes made out of Paneer in Indian restaurants and homes.
Paneer is basically a type of cheese that is bland in taste but that’s what makes it versatile. It can be used in both savoury and sweet dishes.
Paneer can be homemade or bought from the store. But packaged paneer is made from citric acid and has additives.
Guide to making Paneer/Cottage Cheese at Home:
- Paneer is basically made from adding a citric component like lemon juice, vinegar or yoghurt to hot milk which allows the curds to separate from the wheys.
- Drain the curds in a muslin cloth and tie it and hang it for 30 minutes to drain off excess wheys.
- Then place the muslin cloth under a heavy object like a pressure cooker for an hour or two to drain off remaining whey.
- Refrigerate the now ready Paneer slab for 1 hour.
Paneer Tikka Fry is the perfect party snack. And super simple to make.
Prep. Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 5-10 mins
250 gms Paneer
3-4 tbsp Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp chat masala powder
1 tsp dry mango powder
1/4 garam masala powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2-3 tsp lemon juice
Salt as required
Oil for frying
- Slice the Paneer slab into cubes or simply cut into slices.
- In a bowl, add yogurt and all the above-mentioned spices into it along with ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and add salt as required. The marinade is ready.
- Now add Paneer slices into this marinade and set it aside in the refridgerator for atleast 30 mins. You can keep it longer for an hour or two.
- Now in a frying pan, add 2-3 tbsp oil and when the oil is hot, fry the paneer slices on medium flame till they are crisp and golden brown on both sides.
- Paneer Tikka Fry is ready to eat. Serve it with mint chutney if you like.
Tip: You can also marinate diced capsicum and onion with Paneer and put them in skewers to grill them.
One bite of this Paneer Tikka is heavenly, crispy on the outside and chewy and moist on the inside. Its so yummy, you don’t need no excuse to party.