Curd Rice has always been a great comfort food for me. Its a dish that’s easy to cook and super fulfilling. The beauty of this dish lies in it’s simplicity.
Prep. Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins
1 cup cooked or leftover rice
1 to 1½ cup thick yoghurt
Salt as required
2 tbsp grated carrot
2 tbsp grated cucumber
1 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 tsp split black gram
- 1 tsp split chickpeas
- 1 tbsp oil
Calorie intake: 125 gms = 146 cal
- If you’re making rice from scratch, just use 1/2 cup rice and soak it in water for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the water afterwards.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked rice and pour 1½ cup water. Remember that the quantity of water should always be double than the quantity of rice. Remove the pressure cooker from flame after one whistle or two depending on the quality of your pressure cooker.
- If you have leftover rice, you can use that as well for this dish.
- Add yogurt and salt as required to the cooked rice and mix it well.
- Now grate carrot and cucumber; chop some fresh coriander leaves and set it aside.
- To prepare the tempering, in a pan, add oil and when it turns hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add split black gram and split chickpeas and roast it till they turn brown.
- Now add a pinch of asafoetida, a sprig of curry leaves and chopped green chillies with minced ginger and cook it for another minute or two. Switch off the flame.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, grated carrots and cucumber to the rice mixed with yogurt. Then add the tempering to this mix. Stir it well.
- South Indian style Curd Rice is ready.
This dish can be made in a jiffy without much hassle. Its comfort food and a one bowl meal. It will fulfill the cravings of your stomach but not that of your heart.